Saturday 27 October 2012

a paper cutting exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery



I've been looking forward to this exhibition for a while as I love paper (!) and it features the fantastic work of Rob Ryan.  What I didn't anticipate was that it would also feature work by the very talented Su Blackwell and that there'd be some pieces I'd be familiar with from books on papercutting.


The piece by Rob Ryan was especially created for this exhibition.  It's huge!  [note: I don't know those people, I just thought it gave a good idea of scale with them there!]


When you enter the exhibition you pass through this enchanted forest.  The branches are suspended from the ceiling and hover just above the floor.


The above piece is one I've seen in a book or on the internet.  I love it and it was great to see it 'in the flesh' as it were!


The black swirls above were enormous - I'm trying to choose wallpaper for our living room and would love this!  [Sophie wasn't impressed!]


Yes, that motorbike is life size and made of paper.  There's a skeleton elsewhere in the gallery made by the same artist.  Amazing.


I won't share any more images as I don't want to spoil it for others who may go to the exhibition (Sue?!) but will leave you with some images of Su Blackwell's work, which made me want to have a go at paper cutting some time next week :)





10 comments:

  1. Wow! These is all magnificent! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was a little old ladybug, sitting on your shoulder . . . but instead I'll just visit these marvelous galleries with you, through blogging.
    What a lovely blog you have created. I am hooked! I found you through mutual followers and I hope that you will become a mutual follower, too.

    Awesome site!
    Your new blogging sister, Connie :)


    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! You beat me to it! Going next week with one of my sons. Someone was raving about it last week at cafe!! Looks good! Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible and magical. As someone who is cutting-impaired, it's mind-boggling to me. So beautiful. I love paper-cutting and paper-engineering. What inspirational art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible exhibition! I wish I lived close enough to go. You are right, I think Sue would love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh you lucky thing Sarah. I would love this. right up my street!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, there sure are some clever people out there! Sophie is looking very grown up too! I would love to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a brilliant blog Sarah. I enjoy seeing your technical skills, and your energy and openness to inspiration. It's always so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And dispensing with the word verification is a real bonus as I can never read the two words to copy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES!!!! I do want to go, it's on my list!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment; it makes my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails