Monday 2 August 2010

USAQ DT project #4 - playing with Mica flakes


This idea has been hanging around in my head for some time, and the magnificent tin of mica flakes that I received from Susan Pickering-Rothamel and USArtQuest was the catalyst to getting it made.

The Mica Flakes kit contains: "16 Colours of Mica Flake in 3 gram jars. Colours include: Gold Flake Medium & Large, Silver Medium & Large, Mother of Pearl, Essence of Pearl, Copper, Graphite, Antique Bronze, Sparkling Champagne, Amethyst, Cinnabar, Lapis, Turquoise, Gold Dust, and Apricot. Plus, 1 - 1oz Perfect Paper Adhesive - Gloss, 2 Little Dippers, 1 Detail Paint Brush, Complete Directions and a cool reusable tin."

 I started with a mica tile and cut it to fit inside my 
pocket watch casing.  When you have little snippets of
mica tile left, you can crumble it to make additional flakes :)
I put the mica tile through the cuttlebug using the new 
cogs folder.

Despite the photograph, this was a black StazOn pad
that I rubbed over the top of the mica tile.

Using some of the images I cut out on the train :) [see
my WOWW post here], I created a collage on the mica
tile, attaching the images with PPAGloss.

I then added some tiny watch parts and graphite mica
flakes around the edge of the mica tile.

I placed the tile inside the pocket watch, turned it over,
and after adding some more collage, and watch bits, filled
it with very thick clear embossing powder.

Then added some larger mica flakes around the outer edge.

Don't forget to head on over to the rest of the DT members' blogs, and the USAQ blog to see what other yumminess has been produced with this Mica Flakes kit :)


USArtQuest products are distributed in the UK by Woodware and can quickly be ordered via your local craft store; or ask Jill at The StampMan, Paddy at Paddy's Stamping Place, Wendy at The Stamp Attic, Glenda at Graphicus or Carol at The Cubby Hole to get hold of some for you :)

19 comments:

  1. Stunning! I had no idea you could cuttlebug mica tiles without wrecking them! I have to find that pack I have......

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is a masterpiece--I AGREE! This is fab and so beautiful! Great idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me?? This is BRILL! Love it girlie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, this is GORGEOUS ... want to go and make something with those flakes I have had for yonks and never used LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fabulous creation Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, things you never knew! So many things to do, so little time...Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally fabulous Sarah. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very different and punk! I love it. Since Jessica showed us the Mica Tiles embossed, I'm in love with the technique. I like it highlighted cogs, and can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very, very cool! I love what you did with the Mica! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! This is incredible! Sent it off to a friend of mine, it's very "her". :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a work of art! Gorgeous & happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a gorgeous piece! I had no idea you could put mica through the cuttlebug... thought it would just shatter. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the layers you put into this. Thanks for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  14. zxyzxqwert Male enhancement pills reviews that realy works to enhance you sexual health and improve sed drive and stamina. read review at http://www.male-sexual.com penis enlargement methods - penis enhancement - asdaQdasdDSHRdshsd penis enlargement zxyqwertzx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to exchange links with your site sarahanderson1.blogspot.com
    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to exchange links with your site sarahanderson1.blogspot.com
    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment; it makes my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails