Monday 7 May 2012

BiG doodles


Whilst blog hopping the other night I came across Catherine Scanlon's blog Art from the Heart and noted that she had a class just about to start that sounded right up my street!  I've been working for a while now on transferring my art journal work onto a larger canvas and any help and advice I can get is gratefully received!


The first class was on Friday and involved lots of large scale doodling.


I worked on A2 size paper with a very large, chunkie Sharpie.  At first my brain was getting in the way and trying too hard but then I realised that all I needed to do was play with lines, just like I play with paint and stamps and stencils in my journal.


So this was just a wandering line, with a few added circles before I then went back and added some more weight to one of the lines.  When I got this out to photograph I spotted a rabbit - can you see him too?


I used my whole arm to make these dramatic shapes, which look plant like to me, with a base of pebbles.


I wasn't keen on this doodle at first, but after I added the leaf like doodles it started to 'grow on me' (sorry, couldn't resist that pun!)#


I was enjoying making these connected circular shapes and this one brought to mind shells, seaweed and pebbles on the seashore.


After my doodling session, which lasted about 15 - 20mins, I got out a recent Amazon purchase entitled 'Expressive Drawing' by Steven Aimone.  The author discusses the fact that not all drawing needs to be an accurate copy of something but that it can be about "internal realities - feelings, imagination, fantasies, dreams, the spirit".  The first exercise in the book is all about the "simple pleasure of making marks on paper" and doodling on big sheets of paper!


So I've decided to do these activities alongside those set by Catherine.  I'll need to head down to the DIY shop though for paper, I couldn't believe the prices at HobbyCraft yesterday, and I need to practice BiG!!!

7 comments:

  1. sounds like you're having huge fun Sarah and extending your skills at the same time. if you've got a Range nearby I find it's cheaper than Hobbycraft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Your doodles are incredible. I love your style. It's gorgeous. You've also inspired me to try working on a bigger scale!

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your doodles, and it looks like so much fun. I've just started playing around with zentangle/doodletangles.....very much smaller scale than your work. Look forward to seeing more from you. Hugs lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the rabbit.
    It is nice how you seem to have an underwater theme popping up unintentionally.
    Big is scary, but you seem to have really taken to it.
    Enjoy your journey!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your giant doodles are extremely awesome, with a bit of colour some of those would make awesome canvas art :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh these are just FAB Sarah! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment; it makes my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails