Monday 18 October 2010

starting my first BiG painting :)

1m x 1m canvas

The vicar at my church saw my paintings last week and asked if I'd paint one for the prayer room in church, during a service!  So last night saw me painting on the stage, trying NoT to get paint on all that lovely wood panelling LOL.  I'm thrilled with what I managed to get done as I've wanted to work on a large canvas for ages but it was a bit of a scary thought!


I used my usual materials - bubble wrap, sequin waste and acrylic paint [but not my baby wipes yet] and cut my own stencil from funky foam.  Next step is more stencilling, and creating some large letter stamps and masks :)

It really felt like I'd come 'full circle' doing this as it was as I watched Graham Hudson from the Mustard Tree painting in a service in May 2010 to raise money for a trip to Mexico that I realised that I could do what I do in my journals on a canvas!  Thanks Graham, for the inspiration :)

EDIT:  Thanks so much for your lovely comments everyone.  I thought no-one liked me anymore as there were no comments all day, then Julie reminded me I'd put comment moderation on!!!  I've been having problems with spam comments advertising unsavoury things, so need some kind of moderation, but I've gone back to word verification instead so I know you are there :)  

12 comments:

  1. Hi there Sarah, oh! this looks wonderful already, hope you enjoy. What a lovely commission to receive:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good already! I would be nervous to create in front of people at church, especially at that size!!!!! Hats off to you!
    Can't wait to see the rest when it's done......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting project, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. The results are interesting when the inspiration comes from elsewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such an honour to design a canvas for the church and its looking great. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How COOL is that??!!! What a wonderful concept and the idea of painting as a part of the service is such a creative way to use your gift from the Creator! Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job on your first BIG painting! I am sure it will be a blessing to those who see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a big canvas Sarah! I love the colours you have used. Stunning as usual!!

    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an exciting concept Sarah - painting during the service!

    Your piece is looking fabulous, I really like the effect your stencil made - lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these colours Sarah and they are so effective on your canvas, can't wait to see the finished article, it's looking good now. Very brave working on a BIG canvas and on a commission, well done you. Tracy Evans x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving those colours... gorgeous :O))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this, Sarah. You'll share the other stages, I hope. Gorgeous colors. Oooo and such a large canvas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment; it makes my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails