Monday 22 October 2012

The Play Date Cafe challenge...3 years on!


I know it's such a cliche, but really, where does the time go?  Three years ago I was never going back to teaching (!) and now here I am, happily teaching in a local special school and enjoying every minute of it!  Today I've been invited to be an Alumni guest over at The Play Date Cafe.


There are big celebrations going on over there, from Oct 18-22, with other design team members returning to join in the fun as special guests.  With daily prizes from a variety of sponsors, and additional giveaways for becoming a follower and displaying the brand new badges it really is a party!



The PDCC has always been a unique challenge for two reasons:
1) they encourage you as a player to 'interpret the colours' as YOU see them
2) they welcome pretty much ANY type of project, from cards to layouts, knitting, crochet and sewing, mixed media and even cupcakes!
I just love that you can join in whatever you're in the mood for making or have the appropriate colour resources for.



After an initial panic (!) I decided to see what I had materials wise in these three colours and eventually settled on some felt.  I considered making some toadstools but then realised that my favourite flowers of all time, hydrangeas, come in all these shades so I set too with a bit of stitchery...


Inspired by Julia Jowett's intricate needlework I used some ribbon for part of the petals then added tiny cross stitch, creating hints of decaying petals.  French knots and tiny beads decorate the centre and there's more on the blue tag.


I knew when I made the felted tag that I was partly chickening out from combining these colours in a painted project and it was kind of bugging me that I'd not really risen to the challenge!  So yesterday I set too and made a card, using lots of white space between the strong colours.


I'm particularly happy with this as I used my 'Faded Jeans' distress marker to colour directly onto a text stamp, meaning I could create texture to the centre of the flower and made a stem.  I've had my markers for a while but hadn't really used them.

I'd love for you to join me in congratulating The Play Date Cafe by playing along and sharing your support by saying hello when you pop over for a visit.  This challenge has a  very special place in my heart (sorry, corny but true) and it would mean a lot if you joined in.

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing such inspiration with us at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tag and canvas are wonderful. I'm particularly captivated with the tag. I love felt and flowers and you did a beautiful job with them. I love color challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...such gorgeous work!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this challenge-I've been participating since I started my blog! Your interpretations are awesome Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, you always come up with something interesting. I think your tag colours are an unusual combination and not one we see much at the moment - make you rethink what you're doing doesn't it? Love the clever simplicity of your card too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The colurs look fantastic together and the idea of a felt tag is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment; it makes my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails