Sunday 25 October 2009

off on a trip


I've been working on the next play date cafe colour challenge today so I can't show you I'm afraid.  Except to say it's my choice of colours this week so I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone does with them :)

I thought I'd show you a page from my ideas journal.  I've kept these for a number of years now and use them to make notes on workshops, try out new products, stamps or ideas, and keep a record of artists I admire.  When Julie gave us her colours, I needed to get my journal out to play with the supplies I had in those colours as they're not ones I use very often. I also wanted to use my new character constructions stamps in the piece so I stamped them up to get a feel for the images.  Playing like this before settling down to an idea really helps me get the ideas flowing. Although sometimes they just 'happen', like RSS week 8, that one I just sat down and made!  How do you get your ideas flowing?  Do you keep an ideas journal, or do you just get stuck in?

I'm off to Oxford in the morning with my three children.  We're going to see the first Steampunk Art exhibition [my husband declined the offer, it's not very 'him'!], I can't wait!!!  Squeezing in a trip to Wendy's Stamp Attic of course whilst we're down there :)

11 comments:

  1. Dearie....this is such a great way to play 'all in one place' to see how things look and then to keep them as a wonderful art journal as a reminder of the journey...AND...it never hurts to have the idea there for another time!

    Enjoy your day out tomorrow...SO VERY JEALOUS...so here's to hoping our UK visit comes while the exhibit is still open. As I recall, Oxford not far by train from Banbury! We actually visited for a good portion of a day during our last trip, and much time was spent at The Ashmolean Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I am so jeolous, I would so Love to see the steampunk show!!!! take lots of pics! Thank you for your recent visit to my blog and your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh have fun at the exhibiion and say hi to Wendy for me :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your art journal!! i'll bet that's so much fun to look back on all of those fabulous ideas and sketches!! have fun at the steampunk exhibit!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea to get the ideas flowing. ooooh - I want to visit that exhibition, it's not too far from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah
    Thanks for your comment re Artistic Stamper - i have been following your blog for a while and love your work - journal page is great (i need one of those!). Hope yu enjoyed the Steampunk show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay how did I miss this post.. oh well here I am and I am BLOWN away.. THIS IS AMAZING!!! I LOVE it.. you are so creative HOLY MOLY girl.. :) I don't know how you do it all. I am so jealous.. think about us while you are gone.. :) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, Sarah! I do keep an series of art journals too, one for sketching and collaging (just for play), one for card sketches and one for color combinations I find in magazines. I don't get to play in my journals as much as I'd like to, but after reading your post I think I might do that tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for recording your ideas and inspiration. SOOOO..... How was the exhibition? Worth a trek down the motorway? I notice it's on till feb - my nephew lives in Oxford, I'm sure he'd appreciate a visit from Auntie! (well maybe not but hey, those are the breaks)
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah! I hope you have a great time! I can't wait to see what you do with your color challenge! I LOVE the card you made for Julie's! Hugs, Paulette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog which I found via Wendy at the Stamp Attic. Looking forward to seeing more of your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment; it makes my day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails